Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 6:01:32 PM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:

A factor that makes a large difference in the injury sustained in
low-voltage shocks is the inability to let go. The amount of current
in the arm that will cause the hand to involuntarily grip strongly is
referred to as the let-go current.7 If a person's fingers are wrapped
around a large cable or energized vacuum cleaner handle, for example,
most adults will be able to let go with a current of less than 6 mA.
At 22 mA, more than 99% of adults will not be able to let go. The pain
associated with the let-go current is so severe that young, motivated
volunteers could tolerate it for only a few seconds.

I call "********". I once picked up a wall socket which I'd used as a trailing socket, and it was wired backwards (earlier on, not by me), so when I'd switched it off, I'd disconnected the neutral and not the live. Hence I got 240V through my hand from live to earth. All it did was warm up my hand. I let go very easily.

It also doesn't make sense as written. Volunteers could only tolerate it for
a few seconds? How long does it take to let go?

With alternating current, there is a feeling of electric shock as long
as contact is made. In contrast, with direct current, there is only a
feeling of shock when the circuit is made or broken.

Incorrect again. Place a PP3 9V battery on your tongue. That will sting continuously until you remove it.

--

Agree, been there, done that too.