Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 3:11:09 PM UTC-6, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 19:50:19 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 17:52:43 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

240V and 0V. Neutral and ground are both connected to the 0V line, which is an earth spike at the 11kV to 240V substation (transformer) across the road.

Over here in the colonies we take that 240v and center tap the
transformer so both ungrounded legs are 120v above ground. That still
gives us the ability to use 240v equipment but most ends up being
120v. I suppose we can blame Thomas Edison for that. He started a fear
campaign against Nick Tesla over AC current, Edison wanted DC and he
said AC was more deadly, to the point of electrocuting an elephant
along with more than a few condemned prisoners ... all with AC.
When he lost the war, the deadly part still stuck and the belief was
that 120 would be safer, still leaving the option of having 240v
equipment.

More wires and outlets all over the house, inconvenient I guess.

It is interesting that you only have 11kva transformers. Typically
here, a single home would be on a 25kva, the smallest generally
available. Two houses get a 37 and 3 houses would get a 50.
That is about the max on a single transformer. Distribution will be
13kv to ground (3 p wye)

This is a 50
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/50%2...ransformer.jpg
This is the typical installation
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/transformer.jpg

You can see 2 of the 3 drops going off to the houses

No, 11kV, not 11kVA. I meant the voltage going into their primaries.

We actually have much bigger ones than yours then, the one opposite me serves about 100 houses. It's very large and when it was replaced I saw them unload it off a flatbed lorry, it took up half the trailer. In case flatbed lorry means nothing over there, this big: http://www.truckexporter.co.uk/sites...?itok=2iIv3msv
--

Your transformers are larger because a larger core is necessary due to the fact that you are on the 50hz frequency standard. In an aircraft you may find a 400hz AC electrical power system and the transformers are very small compared to what is found in 50/60hz equipment. Of course you won't see big transformers on an aircraft but you get the idea. I must wonder what a 400hz power distribution system would be like for a country? Tesla wanted to distribute power to homes and businesses without wires. I wonder what frequency his wireless power system operated on. Darn, there goes my mind off on a tangent again....SQUIRREL! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Frequency Monster