Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 7:39:09 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 7:37:39 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 9:36:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 14:56:02 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 5:39:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:52:45 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/4/2016 9:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 7:00:14 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/3/2016 11:47 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 21:40:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I noticed a friends's Square D panel, the
neutral and ground (from the utility company
feed) are connected to the same bar. And less
than an inch apart.

Shouldn't the ground be connected to the
separate ground bar?

Should I move the ground wire?

No if this is the service disconnect enclosure where the ground
electrode conductor lands and the main disconnect resides they will be
on the same bus bar.

The question is about the circuit breaker panel
in the cellar. There is a main breaker, but I'd
not call it a main disconnect.

What would you call the main disconnect?

Is there another disconnect between the pole/underground wires and the
panel? If not, the main breaker in the panel is also the main disconnect.

Mains = wire coming in from the power company.
Main disconnect = a disconnect outside the house.
(yes, I've seen these before.)
Main breaker = the breaker that shuts off power
to all the smaller breakers.

I do not call a breaker in a panel a "main
disconnect".
Then you are not correct in your terminalogy.
The main breaker in the panel IS the main disconnect, except in some
"redneck bungalow subdivisions" where there is a switch on the pole to
disconnect the trailer from the grid .

Please replace "IS" with "may be".
No I won't. But I will change it to the main breaker in the panel is
most likely the main disconnect.

"Most likely" is just a stronger version of "may be", so I'll accept
that.

execept in some rare situations where
there is a switch on the pole to disconnect the panel from the grid.

Please change "execept" (sic) to "For example".

"Except" implies a singular instance, while "for example" indicates that
there is more than one case that differs from the norm.

There could be a service disconnect external to a distribution panel
and then a "main breaker" in the distribution panel itself.

The most likely exception would be where "central metering" is used.

See, there you go! :-) "most likely exception" leaves room for more than
one exception.

What he posted is still wrong, after he's had an opportunity to review
it several time. He keeps saying a service disconnect that
isn't the main breaker in the panel has to be on a pole, which it does not. But heh, he won't listen to me because I'm supposed to be a jerk.

You're not a jerk, you're just opinionated. There's nothing wrong with having a different point of view as long as you don't blow up the house of someone you disagree with. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Argue Monster