Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 12:56:59 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/6/2016 11:32 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 10:18:16 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 05:04:22 -0000, wrote:

Why are more outlets "inconvenient"?

Because of the two different types. If I want to plug in a hoover, I use any outlet. You have to find one of the right voltage. So to make it as likely to have one, you need twice as many outlets.

All the common everyday appliances, eg microwave, electric kettle, lamps, vacuums, are 120V here and those are the only outlets distributed around the
house. 240V is used for electric dryers and ovens and it's about the only
place you'd find a 240V receptacle in a typical house. Some might have
it for some shop type gear, in their basement, garage etc too.

I've seen 220 or 240 volt outlets for through
the wall AC. 12,000 BTU per hour and larger,
most often.

They DO exist, but are very uncommon.