Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Greasing up switches and connectors?

"DaveC" wrote in message
Cleaning up an old rotary mode switch used for 5v logic levels. It has
some
kind of grease in it.

€¦which has always confused me: grease is an insulator (well, the grease in
this switch is€”just tested and its infinite ohms).

When I worked for a calibration firm, they had special contacts grease for
the old decade boxes. AFAICR: it was called Elvolube - but I haven't been
able to find it online.

Often I use GT85 - its like WD40 but PTFE enhanced, it doesn't interfere
with contacts but the solvent destroys any ABS plastics in anything you
spray it on.