Posted to sci.electronics.basics, sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.misc, sci.electronics.repair, alt.engineering.electrical
DaveC[_4_] DaveC[_4_] is offline

Default Greasing up switches and connectors?

Cleaning up an old rotary mode switch used for 5v logic levels. It has some
kind of grease in it.

€¦which has always confused me: grease is an insulator (well, the grease in
this switch is€”just tested and its infinite ohms).

I read that dielectric grease is good to keep contacts sealed against the
elements that have high physical pressure (which overcomes any separation
provided by the grease) but that signal and other low voltages grease is
contra-indicated.

What say yall?

Thanks.