Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 8:41:02 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/5/2016 8:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 7:46:12 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Anyone wish to answer the OP's OQ?

It was answered within hours of your question, with a qualifying "if".
Since you never directly addressed the "if" it's on you.

I'll make it easy for you:

If this "if" is true, then you already have your answer:

"No if this is the service disconnect enclosure where the ground
electrode conductor lands and the main disconnect resides..."

If that "if" is not true, then you need to tell us more about
the installation. In other words, if the service disconnect is
not in the panel you are asking about, then where is it?

The power comes from the pole to a meter box,
which is outside the house. The power company
can remove the meter and put plastic boots over
the contacts, so I'd dare to say that is a
primitive service disconnect.

You can dare to say it, but unless this code
has been updated since it was posted in 2002,
the meter is not considered a service disconnect
because it is not considered to be service equipment.

Please refer to the mention of "meter" in Part 1 -
General and 230.66 for more detail.

https://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarc...s~20020219.htm

I've not been out that side of the house in
several years. don't know how the ground
bar in the ground connects in to the matter.
But, I do know the meter is outdoors.

Please see my comment about this a bit later on...

There is some kind of cable from the meter box
to the circuit breaker panel. The question is
about the circuit breaker panel.

Yep, pretty sure we all knew that.

The ground wire in question comes in from outdoors
(in a plastic wrapped sheath with two hots and a
neutral). The ground wire presently connects to
the same metal bar, about an inch from where the
neutral connects.

It is possible (enough wire to work with) to move
the ground wire (from outdoors) to a screw connector
on one of the two ground screw bars.

You've stated that you "don't know how the ground
bar in the ground connects in to the matter".

I'll assume "matter" means "meter".

Until you know that and tell us, it would be
unconscionable for us to tell you what wires
can be moved without any qualification.

I'm not a code reading electrician,

Then perhaps you should find one, have him/her assess
the situation and let him/her make the determination
as to whether any wires should be moved.

As I said earlier, you have received an answer to your
question with a qualifying "if". No one can answer the
question with any more certainty unless you can address
the "if" in more detail.

and thank you for making it easy for me.

You are most welcome.