Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 17:33:06 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 07:00:09 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/3/2016 11:47 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 21:40:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I noticed a friends's Square D panel, the
neutral and ground (from the utility company
feed) are connected to the same bar. And less
than an inch apart.

Shouldn't the ground be connected to the
separate ground bar?

Should I move the ground wire?

No if this is the service disconnect enclosure where the ground
electrode conductor lands and the main disconnect resides they will be
on the same bus bar.

The question is about the circuit breaker panel
in the cellar. There is a main breaker, but I'd
not call it a main disconnect.

In better than 90% of installations that main breaker IS the main
disconnect, and as far as the code is concerned unless it is a
sub-panel the original explanation is correct. Neutral is bonded to
ground.

Be a lot safer to leave it alone than to have micky playing around
with it anyway.

Hey, I never said that. I said I made the earth move for my
girlfriend, when we were...you know; not for a breaker box.