Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:52:45 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/4/2016 9:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 7:00:14 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/3/2016 11:47 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 21:40:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I noticed a friends's Square D panel, the
neutral and ground (from the utility company
feed) are connected to the same bar. And less
than an inch apart.

Shouldn't the ground be connected to the
separate ground bar?

Should I move the ground wire?

No if this is the service disconnect enclosure where the ground
electrode conductor lands and the main disconnect resides they will be
on the same bus bar.

The question is about the circuit breaker panel
in the cellar. There is a main breaker, but I'd
not call it a main disconnect.

What would you call the main disconnect?

Is there another disconnect between the pole/underground wires and the
panel? If not, the main breaker in the panel is also the main disconnect.

Mains = wire coming in from the power company.
Main disconnect = a disconnect outside the house.
(yes, I've seen these before.)
Main breaker = the breaker that shuts off power
to all the smaller breakers.

I do not call a breaker in a panel a "main
disconnect".

I wouldn't either, I would call it the service disconnect if it was
the first disconnecting means after the service point. (the place
where the utility's wires connect to yours)