Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Door sizes

On 03/01/2016 10:50 AM, wrote:

I'm an engineer; I can look at numbers on a piece of paper and
sort out how things will (or won't!) work without having to
"try it and see!"

The easiest way to determine a masonry R/O is to drill a small hole in
the jamb near the stop and probe with a wire. You can easily fill that
hole and make it disappear if you decide not to replace the jambs.
You might find there is quite a bit of bucking in that opening.

+42

Nobody said rip the whole thing out; it's unlikely to the max the RO
wasn't plenty for a "standard" door and guessing from the exterior fill
isn't much for uncovering what is actually there.

Sometimes even we engineers need to do lab work, not count of design
drawings...