Ed Sirett

Default Keston Questions (noise and flue options)

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:06:05 +0000, Andrew wrote:

In article .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:47:17 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"IMM" writes:

"fred" wrote in message ...
They want the intake and exhaust flues to be balanced, that means
running two 50mm uPVC pipes to your chosen exit point.
Inlet & exhaust need to be separated by 200mm.

Are you sure? The advantage of twin flues is that the exhaust and air feed
can be in very different locations. The two pipes don't have to be near
each other or the sae length. For e.g, the exhaust run up to a ridge tile
and the air intake under the floor and penetrating the walls at low level.

The instructions for my Celcius 25 say a 'minimum' of 200mm, and
explicitly state no maximum distance. I also recall something about
not being permitted on opposite sides of a building but I can't find
that now -- it might have been in the instructions of a different
boiler I was considering at the time.

It is in there somewhere - I suspect that because terminals on
opposite side of the building are explicitly forbidden in the regs.
I also suspect that having an instruction which is directly opposite to the
regs would cause much confusion and would have casued a great deal of
problems getting [Gas Council] type approval.

The OP should note that for a long rise (over 4m) on the flue a seperate
drain and trap should be provided for condensate at the bottom of the
ascent.

My own C25 takes air from a passage way under the house and terminates
vertically through the (flat) roof.

I've yet to see the plume as the boiler is only on when someone's having a
bath (reheating the cylinder) or for odd quater-hours here and there.

So what do you use for space heating ? - just curious. £800 for a Keston
is an expensive way of heating water.

That's what the odd 1/4 hours are doing, basically replacing the radiator
contents with luke warm water. Also the heat requirements are very limited
having excellant insulation (neighbours) on both side and above the house
and double glazing.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk