Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Door sizes

On 2/29/2016 4:42 PM, dpb wrote:
On 02/29/2016 3:25 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 2/29/2016 2:18 PM, wrote:

Since we started here I have been measuring all the doors I see and
the answer I come up with is there is no standard.
I have anything from "right on" to a 1/2" smaller and one that is
about 1/4" smaller (steel door so I know it wasn't modified).
My guess is that manufactures make doors for standard rough openings
and the thickness they choose for the jam determines the actual door
size.

(for PREHUNG doors)

I am curious how building inspectors deal with clear opening sizes for
accessible routes since even a full size door is smaller because of
the stops.

I expect lots of variation on *interior* doors. But, I figured exterior
door would have far less wiggle room!

Nope as I told you some several responses above...they build to a RO and the
final interior opening turns out to be what it is--the two of -1/2" and -1/4"
are pretty common for width but the length (height) is also dependent upon
those factors plus how they design the threshold.

If you're trying to order a door slab to fit an existing opening, see above as
well, there's a whole lot more besides just the exterior dimensions to worry
about, especially if you're talking steel, not wood, where field modification
is much more of a trick...particularly things like number, size, placement and
setback of hinges, hole locations, etc, etc., etc., ...

You're missing the point.

It doesn't matter whether I'm looking to replace just the slab
(reusing existing frame) *or* replacing the entire frame (with
a prehung unit) -- if the RO is sized too narrow!

The remedy available to me is to replace/revise the buck; or,
fabricate a thinner jamb (assuming that to be a cheaper solution
than a custom 35.5" metal door).

I'm not keen on letting this turn into another long-winded
back-and-forth where we play 20 questions and roam around
visiting all sorts of different issues that MAY or MAY NOT
be pertinent.

"A stock 36 inches door is 36 inches -- whether a slab or
(effectively) when prepackaged in a prehung jamb"

That's all I need to know to sort out what I have to do...