Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Motor Removal

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 07:54:04 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 1/1/2016 9:58 PM, wrote:
I had the same problem. i first blew the motor out with compressed air while it was still

installed, it started up once then failed on the second try. I took
the motor off the saw,
and unscrewed the plastic housing and blew it out again, there was
hardly any particles
left but upon reassembly it started working as new. Minimal use on this
machine,
my father-in law had it for 15 years, said he used about 10 times; I've
used it for
four light bookcases, a bat house and a bed frame. Not a lot of built
up funk in the
motor, my guess is that these just need some attention TLC every 20
years or so.

What is that amperage rating of the circuit the saw is on.

I have a table saw that will marginally, to not run on a 15 amp circuit
but will always run on a 20 amp circuit.

Right now I have on 20 amp circuit in the garage in the ceiling for the
door opener. I hope to be able to correct that this summer.

On the nameplates of motors they have an amp rating given per Volts
Like 3A @120 volt
1.5A 2 230 volts

Etc. Most also have a SF rating service factor of 1 or 1.5 and so on,

If your line voltage is less than the rating your amp draw will
increase, same if the belt is too tight and sometimes it will not
start with too tight a belt. One belt driven devices. Both cause
overheating and eventual burnout of the motor. If the motor pulley is
too large it too will cause an increase in motor amp draw.

There are other factors but these are the most common.