Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 12:28:21 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

IIRC Freud offered, for a short period, a compromise between a Domino an
plate joiner. It looked the same except it drilled 2 holes for dowels.

You remember correctly! For some strange reason, they quit making them about 4+ years ago. I don't know what happened to them as the machine got some great reviews and a double dowel system certainly has its strength. Oddly, it was Freud that stopped, so there must have been some kind of copyright or patent infringement.

But they are still around, and quite affordable. I have been tempted for years, especially since they offer 1/4" and 3/8" sizes on the bits for dowels. Even a 1/4" striated dowel properly installed has quite a bit of holding power, but that 3/8" would be about as strong as I would need. And of course, there is always the option to take one bit out and use it as a single dowel machine.

http://www.tritontools.com/en-AU/Model/TDJ600

or

http://goo.gl/OYQKUF (which is a great tool manufacturer located in Germany, and all tools made there)

The problem with the Mafell doweling machine... it even MORE expensive than the Domino, and not by a little bit, either.

No doubt thanks to you, I wouldn't consider the Mafell in light of the Domino's performance.

That Triton sure looks interesting though from time to time.

Heck, I remember when dowel joints were considered great woodworking and a sign of craftsmanship. When I learned to lay up panels, we always did a few dowels per joint. I remember doing doweled miter joints on rail/stile construction, too. Looks pretty old fashioned, now...

Robert