Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Sealing basin combined waste/overflow?

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 21:02:13 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , T i m
escribió:

Oh god, T i m Nice-but D i m strikes again.

Clever.

So how 'rubbery' is the rubber? How much have you compressed it whilst
tightening the fitting?

Buy one yourself and find out, like I did.

Don't need to. I along with millions of other people have managed
without (thanks).

Fact. The fact you can't work it out doesn't make it any less so.

The fact that it worked as intended has left you all butt-hurt, hasn't
it?

Nope, and as yet you haven't demonstrated it has worked.

If
the rubber had a thread that matched the waste outlet at rest, then
you compressed it 50% of it's original size, what pitch would the
thread be then.

You really don't have a clue.

I think you will find I have more of a clue than you, as you will go
onto demonstrate ...

It's compressing INWARDS,

No, it's being compressed sideways and so is expanding inwards and
outwards.

so the rubber
is sealing the threads.

No 'so' about it. The rubber is being pushed against the tops of the
threads and you are *hoping* is being pushed into the threads
sufficiently to make a seal. Now, that concept works (very well) on a
smooth section, like a cable gland but not always when the surface
being clamped has a spiral thread in it.

Left all day with basin full of water. Not a drop.

With the plug open?

Eh? What planet are you on?

The one you wish you were.

Plug closed, basin filled, tap left trickling so water runs down the
overflow.

Ah, so now moving the goalposts *AND* proving (as I predicted) you
don't have a clue. Thanks.

Sheet of newspaper on the floor - even one drop of water is going to
stand out a mile. Nothing all day.

You haven't tested it fully yet.

Remove the trap, blank the end of the waste outlet off, open the plug,
fill the sink with water to the brim and leave *that* for a day and
get back to us.

snip expletives that demonstrate your level of frustration,
embarrassment and confusion

I've just assembled it

Well done you! ;-)

and it's
leak-free,

With the tests you have given it so far.

you seriously expect me to take it all apart again to satisfy
your inadequacies?

I don't expect anything of you, that way I'll not be disappointed.

snip more childish bleating's

I have a life, unlike you it seems.

Of course you do.

No wonder you get so much stick on
here.

From whom? You and yer little Linux fanatic friends ... with yer
clever little anti Windows sigs. Grow up FFS.

I'm not saying it *will* leak (you can get lucky with
these things),

I used the proper part for the job rather than bodge it with sealant,
plumber's mait, etc.

You used an alternative that may or may not have worked. You don't
know that it has worked because you haven't tested it properly. I'm
not surprising you haven't because you had to ask about doing the job
in the first place.

As I said at the outset, it should be possible to
achieve a good seal without bodging it with sealant.

And I didn't disagree with that. I (and others) suggested that sealant
was the normal way to go.

And so it proved.

You have 'proved' nothing yet.

I guess you're the sort of incompetent **** that thinks it's OK to use
PTFE to seal compressed fittings on gas lines too.

I use whatever is the std for the field.

Back in the killfile you go. *plonk*

Aww, these Linux nerds are soooo funny when they get all excited. ;-)

Cheers, T i m