Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Sealing basin combined waste/overflow?

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:58:41 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , T i m
escribió:

And I can't see how any 'rubber' (that isn't liquid) will ever fully
seal what is a fairly sharp metal thread, without some additional
sealant?

You wouldn't, would you.

The only exception would be if the rubber had it's own internal thread
that coincided with the thread on the waste fitting

It does.

So how 'rubbery' is the rubber? How much have you compressed it whilst
tightening the fitting?

but even then it
would never fully 'sync' (excuse the pun), depending on how much you
compressed the rubber.

********.

Fact. The fact you can't work it out doesn't make it any less so. If
the rubber had a thread that matched the waste outlet at rest, then
you compressed it 50% of it's original size, what pitch would the
thread be then.

A) 'The same'
B) 'Different'.

It is my prediction that it will still leak

Left all day with basin full of water. Not a drop.

With the plug open?

Remove the trap, blank the end of the waste outlet off, open the plug,
fill the sink with water to the brim and leave *that* for a day and
get back to us. I'm not saying it *will* leak (you can get lucky with
these things), I'm just saying that will be an actual test.

Read the reviews here.

http://www.diy.com/departments/plumb...-basin-sealer-
dia32mm-set-of-1/178380_BQ.prd#

"Excellent product for under £2. Avoids need to use messy sealants."

"Got a perfect seal without the need for Plumbers Mait"

"Did exactly what was required - no leaks, brilliant"

"After three attempts at trying to stop the water seeping down the
threads of the trap I opted for this. Instant success and it didn't need
anything else added except a bit of soap to lubricate the thread as it's
a tight fit"

etc. etc.

I wonder how we ever coped?

Cheers, T i m