Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 2/22/2016 10:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Home Depot offers a HEPA filter for the WD1450, I think it was VF5000 or
VF6000. There may still be a bit of blow-by, but it does seem like the
vacuum seals pretty well.
Puckdropper

If the vac is not HEPA certified the filter is not guaranteed to prevent
the particles that you are wanting to capture from escaping. The HEPA
filters in my vac remain almost spotless, even after 8 years of use. The
vast majority of the fine particles are captured by the primary disposable
filter bag. As a result I never have to clean those final HEPA filters, or
any filters. I take that back, about 9 months ago one of the bags broke
and the HEPA filters did all of the work and and yo be cleaned that 1 time.

Finally a reason I'd want a Festool vac, never having to clean the
filters. For the extra $500 though, I don't mind occasionally cleaning
the filter. I usually do it each time I empty the 14 Gallon tank. My
vac is also quiet enough I never consider not using it because of the
noise, and no ear muffs needed. My 40 year old Shop Vac I hated to use
because it required ear muffs or your ears would bleed. The main thing
with the old shop vac was the high pitched scream. That is completely
gone with the Ridged, so whatever noise it makes, it's simply not a
problem at all.

The only small tool I attach a vac is my sander. The small hose to my
sander has an air port that I can open if the vac works too hard, so two
speeds isn't needed. I can't recall ever wanting to slow down a vac.

My recommendation remains spend the extra money on the spiral cutterhead
planer or jointer rather than a Festool shop vac. I guess if your prime
reason for buying a shop vac is keeping dust over 1 micron out of your
lungs, get a Festool vac, or even better, look for work in a silicon
valley clean room making computer chips or hard drives. Woodwork might
be a little too risky for you.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com