Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Sealing basin combined waste/overflow?

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 12:18:35 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I've always felt it should be possible to get a good seal without
bodging with silicone or plumber's mate, especially if the surfaces are
clean. A bit of washing up liquid for lubricant, that's all.

This guy uses one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaPsf2xTZfc

but also uses silicone, which is cheating IMO

I agree with your thinking - but in this case the thread itself is the
leakage route.

And I can't see how any 'rubber' (that isn't liquid) will ever fully
seal what is a fairly sharp metal thread, without some additional
sealant?

The only exception would be if the rubber had it's own internal thread
that coincided with the thread on the waste fitting but even then it
would never fully 'sync' (excuse the pun), depending on how much you
compressed the rubber.

It is my prediction that it will still leak, it might just take a bit
of time till it does but then may block itself with gunge as time goes
on.

At least if you applied sealant to the inside of the rubber bush to
seal against the threads you could still easily remove the nut at a
later date.

Cheers, T i m