Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default microwave oven saga

wrote:

$200? Did you order from an appliance supply instead of from MCM
Electronics, Dalbani, Premium Parts, etc? It's possible you could
have bought another small microwave oven and taken parts from it
because many magnetrons are identical. The mechanical fit of
the magnetron must be exactly the same or strong microwaves can
leak where the magnetron seals against the chassis.

How many microwave ovens should I have bought before I found the one
that fits properly?

The parts were bought from PartsDirect.com. In case you didn't notice,
I got them from there because they had a return policy and I could get
it next day air.

What overvoltage diode? The electonic circuit board may have some
tiny ones, but I'd expect a MOV across the AC lines. OTOH
magnetrons are powered by thousands of volts provided by a circuit
consisting of a high voltage capacitor and high voltage diode
configured as a voltage doubler. This diode will measure as an
open circuit with digital multimeters because they apply only
about 2-3 volts for ohms or diode measurement, and high voltage
diodes consist of several diodes connected in series and require
more voltage to be applied , so a higher voltage has to be applied
to it to conduct. Some analog meters will do that on their
higher resistance scales, like 10x or 100x, or you can use a
source of at least about 9 volts DC with a resistor of at least
10,000 ohms in series.

Maybe I said it wrong and it is a high voltage diode. I think you got
the point though.