Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default microwave oven saga

On 2/16/2016 3:05 PM, wrote:
step one..

I know what I am doing and I would not poke around inside a microwave that was powered up. You should not either. No joke, the voltage in thee are leathal.

step two
there are DIY sites on the net that tell you how to test an HV diode with the power off.

Yes a high voltage diode will test open with a standard vom.

yes the two filament leads will look like a short.
but they should not be shorted to the case.

read a few diy sites and keep the power off.

No, it's more than just "keep the power off". Energy is stored in
the HV section (capacitor doubler). The circuit *may* have been
designed with a bleeder to discharge the cap, over time.

But, the device is NOT WORKING. So, you can't assume any of
the things that were designed to protect you are functioning
correctly, either! (does "no user serviceable parts inside"
ring a bell? : )

I work with electricity all day -- and still treat it like a
youngster who just got zapped for the first time! It's not
like setting your hand on a hot stove -- where you MIGHT have
a chance to correct your mistake before incurring some serious
injury... (electrons are fast little devils!)