Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 2/13/16 10:13 AM, HerHusband wrote:
I need to buy a jointer, and haven't had much luck finding a used one.

So, I've been looking at the budget 6" jointers by Ridgid and Grizzly, in
the sub $600 range. Grizzly's new G0813/814 jointers aren't in stock yet,
and the shipping costs would make it more expensive. I could have the
Ridgid shipped to my local store for free, making it a bit cheaper.

Price aside, which would be the better jointer? Are there other brands in
that price range I should consider?

I don't have the space or the money for a larger 8" jointer.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Can you be entirely certain they aren't the same machines painted
differently and put on different stands?
Sometimes you can tell by looking up parts.

If not, I'd go for longest beds as others suggested.
Also, most powerful motor.
Best dust collection.
Ease of adjustability AND set-up-- not setting it up from out of the
box. Setting up everything to get perfect results: bed coplaner, knives
perfectly flat to beds, etc.
How easy is it to change knives?

--

-MIKE-