Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 2/13/2016 11:00 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 10:16:13 AM UTC-6, HerHusband wrote:
I need to buy a jointer, and haven't had much luck finding a used one.

So, I've been looking at the budget 6" jointers by Ridgid and Grizzly, in
the sub $600 range. Grizzly's new G0813/814 jointers aren't in stock yet,
and the shipping costs would make it more expensive. I could have the
Ridgid shipped to my local store for free, making it a bit cheaper.

Price aside, which would be the better jointer? Are there other brands in
that price range I should consider?

I don't have the space or the money for a larger 8" jointer.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I have a 6" Grizzly (earlier version of)

http://grizzly.com/products/6-Jointe...wn-Stand/G0813

and have absolutely no complaints. Would a larger one be "nice," do I need that extra width? Not really. So, the bottom line is, what do normally use a jointer for? Then buy accordingly.

Absolutely a good point. Buying a jointer to fit a location or space and
not to satisfy the need for one might be a disappointment. I know this
from experience.