Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Ridgid, Grizzly, or other 6" Jointer?

On 2/13/2016 10:13 AM, HerHusband wrote:
I need to buy a jointer, and haven't had much luck finding a used one.

So, I've been looking at the budget 6" jointers by Ridgid and Grizzly, in
the sub $600 range. Grizzly's new G0813/814 jointers aren't in stock yet,
and the shipping costs would make it more expensive. I could have the
Ridgid shipped to my local store for free, making it a bit cheaper.

Price aside, which would be the better jointer? Are there other brands in
that price range I should consider?

I don't have the space or the money for a larger 8" jointer.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I would say get as large as you can afford or have room for. I would
look for which might have longer beds. I had a short 6" jointer for
years. Mostly used it to tie the dog leash to. Several years ago I got
rid of it. It simply was too small. I would love to have a long bed
jointer but I have managed with out and I never buy rough cut lumber any
more. I use my track saw to straighten s2s when I buy that.

If you intend to use it a lot, one with the replaceable carbide cutters
might be a consideration. AND some joiners are now offering the throw
away replaceable blades similar to what is on the lunch box planers.
Use them, flip them and use again and then replace. I think those use
the Tersa knives. These are less expensive than the carbide
replacements but relatively easy to replace properly.

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessori...-planer-knives