Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 2/12/2016 11:55 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/12/2016 09:20 PM, Don Y wrote:
Most of the roads *in* town have 45-55MPH speed limits. It's only
residential areas where it is reduced (to 25). Plus, we have these
silly "suicide lanes" (center lane shared by both directions of
traffic for left turns at places other than intersections) that add
to the entertainment ("Gee, I wonder where the NEXT vehicle will
come from?")

That was part of the safety enhancements. Turn a four lane street into two
lanes with a suicide lane a two very generous bike lanes. There are quite a few
places that require careful choreography to avoid a head on as each driver
tries to make a left.

The issue is that there are no "obvious" rules governing when/where you
should ENTER that lane! So, I could opt to start *driving* in it
(not just waiting to turn) long before I plan on actually turning.
This, of course, means anyone wanting to make a turn at any of the
places I "drive by" gets screwed into waiting (in their LEFTMOST
lane of traffic) until I've driven past.

At least we don't have the Tucson system where the direction of the lane
changes depending on the time of day.

No, that's primarily in D.C.