Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 2/13/2016 12:01 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/12/2016 09:24 PM, wrote:
The edge does NOT go away. Wheather a bike or a car, SOMETHING is
occupying the road ahead coming your direction. Hitting a car head on
isn't going to do any less damage to you than hitting a bike - - -

Considering I'm the guy on the bike, I'd prefer some moron didn't hit me head
on, or what is much more common, blissfully make a left hand turn in front of
me because they 'didn't see' me. Car drivers only see other cars. Anything
smaller than a minivan is off their radar completely. They *might* notice a
headlight, but if it's just one little headlight in a stream of DRL's, they're
going to ignore it.

People zone out when driving. They get "acclimated" to a particular
set of stimuli -- then tend to ignore it.

If you want to be noticed, you have to stand out by "being different".
E.g., a headlight that flashes, etc.

This is the rationale for every tweek to the safety equipment (e.g., now
center mounted brake lights *flash* when first applied; it's not enough
that they are UP HIGH, in your LINE OF SIGHT -- cuz you've gotten used
to seeing them there and now "tune them out".