Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Pad-lifting

On 02/10/2016 3:29 AM, frank wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Has anyone ever used pressure to blow away solder? I'm thinking that
125 psi through a tiny nozzle would clean out the solder better than a
spring loaded solder sucker.

Though I guess that it might send molten solder where you don't want it!

I tried that once on a board that was hopeless and marked for "spare parts"
only.
When blowing from the bottom side, the ICs would come out full of solder
residuals on the bottom side (cleaning required a longer time than using a
proper desolder method).
When blowing from the upper side (IC side), the action was not so effective in
removing all the solder from the hole and anyway the solder residues were
blown everywhere in the bench.
In short, I've never tried that again.

Frank IZ8DWF

I've used the propane (using MAPP gas tank) torch method on boards that
are to be scrapped - heat the bottom side of the board fast and very
hot, bang the board (IC legs down) onto a piece of wood to drive the
molten solder off the bottom, then retrieve the released parts.

Makes a mess of the PCB, but the ICs are usually fine. At least it is quick!

John ;-#)#
www.flippers.com