Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Pad-lifting

On 02/10/2016 10:21 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
John Robertson wrote:

Well, I rework some prety expensive boards for physics research gear. One
thing I've done a lot of is recovering $10 connectors with 68 pins. The
problem is not the cost of ONE connector, but the distributors make you buy
160 pieces minimum order! That does get expensive. We have piles of old
boards that have been superseded with newer designs. I can desolder the
connectors in about 10 minutes with the Pace. The boards would be usable if
we wanted to do that, but the evidence of the desoldering would be visible.
I'd hate to try doing a 68-pin connector with a spring-piston solder puller.

Jon

Yeah, I would not attempt something like those 68-pin or ICs with the
tiny pins, etc. with the Soldapullt.

When it gets down to it we use five basic methods of desoldering devices
in the order of use on my bench:

1) Weller and Soldapullt

2) Pace desoldering station

3) Weller and solder wick

4) Weller and Chip-Quik surface mount desolder kit. This has an alloy
rod that greatly reduces the melting point of the solder and is used on
very fragile items and small surface mount repairs.

5) Hot Lamp surface mount station (we really get very little surface
mount work).

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com