Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Progress on the Nightstands

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/10/16 10:30 AM, dadiOH wrote:
OFWW wrote:

In all of this the end product is to be painted white per the boss,
and Leon did mention a while back two different woods that would
show very little grain when painted.

IMO, your biggest problem is not going to be making the things, it
will be the finishing. I'm assuming, since they are for the kitchen and
that you will want gloss or semi-gloss. I'm also assuming, given the
amount
of work to get to that point, that you will want a close to flawless
paint
job. Very tough to do.

I have yet to encounter a wood that won't show grain when painted. I have
yet to find a router bit that will leave a paintable surface. In
reality, the wood used doesn't make much difference because you need a
flawless surface on TOP of the wood before you paint and to do that you
need
a high build, easy sanding primer, maybe some filler* too. Years
ago,when
I was living on my sailboat, Interlux had a (pricy) gem. No longer
available, best I have currently found is this...
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...s/&N=759705555

They way you described this I thought it must be their version of
Zinsser BIN which is shellac based. But in reading the tech notes, I
saw nothing about shellac.

I learned about BIN in here and it is my go-to primer when I need a
super smooth surface over wood that can be "level sanded."

Question: Have you used BIN and if so, how does it stack up against
this product?

It is water base. I have used BIN but it has been so long ago that I can't
make a valid comparison. I can tell you that...

1. this has a LOT of talc (very heavy)

2. dries to sandable in about 2 hours or less, depending on thickness, temp,
humidity, etc.

3. self levels fairly well

4. sticks well

5.sands to powder easily.

Buy a quart and see. I'd like to know how it compares to BIN too