Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Well I've never seen that before....

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 16:44:15 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 10/02/16 16:10, DerbyBorn wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in news
Yes, that tumble dryer is actually on and running.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0x8cn08kc....jpg?dl=0&s=sl

Pity we don't have basements in the UK for boiler, washer, etc.

Well yes and no. My sisters previous designer built German house did.
Which was FINE, until the sewage pump the council had installed, failed,
and everyone's basement ended up 3 foot deep in sewage.

Saniflo is one thing, but when you have a German Municipal saniflo, boy,
its a bit more serious.

They installed ONE pump without a backup? Such things should be like servers. Redundancy! Or an alarm or something!

Someone half a mile from me lives at the bottom of a hill. She doesn't have a basement, but she dies have her sewage pumped up to the main road. It's a privately owned pump, the council have nothing to do with it. It does jam up every so often (twice a year I think), and the local handyman goes and clears it and/or replaces bearings (not a job I'd like to do). But AFAIK, the sewage collects in a tank, so presumably there is some way of telling that it's filled up and needs sorting, before it overflows everywhere. I've never heard of a mess needing to be cleared up.

--
If the world were a logical place, then men would ride sidesaddle -- Rita May Brown