Al

Default Pinout needed for TO-5 devices

In article ,
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark Remover"
wrote:

In article ,
mentioned...
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:34:10 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" wrote:

Well, the TO-39, which looks identical to the TO-5, will easily handle
7 watts, with a heatsink of course. The TO-39 case has the chip
bonded to the header, so the collector lead is usually welded directly
to the case.

AAMOF RCA made the 2N4036, 40412, 40346, 40347, & 40412 among many
others, all of which were in a TO-5 case and rated for a dissipation
of 7W or greater, in some cases 10W. This _was_ a true TO-5 case.

---
Hogwash. I suggest you get a data sheet for a 2N4036 and take a look at
power dissipation VS case and ambient temp.

Here's one from Motorola

http://212.57.231.17/datasheets/67/OWOSNOVWOP.pdf

and even though they've got the Ta and Tc curves labeled backwards it
might give you a clue. Besides, I don't think the OP mentioned anything
about a heat sink, so even if it _was_ TO-5 instead of TO-92 it would be
operating in an enclosure at a Ta of 25° C, which means he wouldn't
even be able to get a watt out of it.

No, it's _not_ hogwash! RCA Manual SC-15 Page 420. Right there in
black and white: 7W. To prove it, I'll post a pic of the page to
ABSE. Look for 2N4036 data sheet.

The Motorola spec. says max Vceo is -65V and max. current is 100mA. That
works out to 6.5W. Specs, though, may vary from manufacturer to
manufacturer.

Max power diss. is usually spec'ed with a case ambient of 25C. Kinda
hard to maintain this with any kind of long term lifetime. Many times
curves for various specs are extrapolated from lower power settings,
currents and the like for marketing purposes. Beware if you try to use a
component at its max ratings.

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......