Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Pad-lifting

On 02/09/2016 12:44 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
John Robertson wrote:

Soldapullt (sp?) solder
sucker.

These work, but if you have ever used a Pace desoldering station with either
a vacuum pump or a venturi suction generator, you will be AMAZED at how much
better a job it does. These have a hollow copper tip, so you can keep the
tip on the joing while it applies the suction. You apply the tip, wait a
few seconds and then wiggle the tip in an orbiting motion and step on the
pedal. When the slurping sound stops, all the solder is gone, let up on the
pedal and remove the tip. There is no big reaction from a flying piston as
with the plugner-type solder puller, and you get enough suction time to get
ALL the solder out of the joint.

(Other brands of pump-type desoldering irons are probably just as good, but
I happen to have Pace brand gear.)

Jon

I HAVE a Pace Desoldering station (actually two of them) - however I am
usually just removing one or two ICs and I can remove them with my
Weller (#7!) and Soldapullt faster than the Pace will heat up!

You can get a nice rhythm going where you heat two leads at the same
time (medium tip) and suck both together, then while the next pair are
warming up you are reloadng the sucker with your other hand. I can pull
a 40 pin chip in a minute or less typically (not that I ever time
myself, it just seems to go pretty fast.).

Once the legs are unsoldered I then use a tiny screwdriver to push the
bottom leads back and forth across the feed through hole. If it appears
to be stuck I put a dab of solder and resuck. Then I press the bottom of
each leg on the top side where they meet the PCB to again loosen them
up. At this point the IC usually pulls out with my finger tips. Prying
with any force at all means something is wrong...not to mention it yanks
out feed through pipes!

If I am reworking a bunch of chips then the Pace is heated up. It is
slightly better as you can put the tip around the IC's lead and swirl it
from side to side as you heat it up, to feel if it has released, prior
to suction.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com