John Fields

Default Pinout needed for TO-5 devices

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:34:10 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" wrote:

Well, the TO-39, which looks identical to the TO-5, will easily handle
7 watts, with a heatsink of course. The TO-39 case has the chip
bonded to the header, so the collector lead is usually welded directly
to the case.

AAMOF RCA made the 2N4036, 40412, 40346, 40347, & 40412 among many
others, all of which were in a TO-5 case and rated for a dissipation
of 7W or greater, in some cases 10W. This _was_ a true TO-5 case.

---
Hogwash. I suggest you get a data sheet for a 2N4036 and take a look at
power dissipation VS case and ambient temp.

Here's one from Motorola

http://212.57.231.17/datasheets/67/OWOSNOVWOP.pdf

and even though they've got the Ta and Tc curves labeled backwards it
might give you a clue. Besides, I don't think the OP mentioned anything
about a heat sink, so even if it _was_ TO-5 instead of TO-92 it would be
operating in an enclosure at a Ta of 25° C, which means he wouldn't
even be able to get a watt out of it.

--
John Fields