Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

Default Pinout needed for TO-5 devices

In article ,
mentioned...
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 8:19:01 -0800, DaveC wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 2:27:00 -0800, Thomas C. Sefranek wrote
(in message ):

2N324 PNP Germanium audio driver

pin1 (the tab) Emitter
Pin 2 Base (Connected to the case!) [Case 31(1)]
Pin 3 collector

Thomas,
Thanks for your reply.

I was not clear in my request. The 324, 333, and 326 are all plastic,
"D-shaped" form factor. Is this TO-92? Is TO-5 only round metal? The only
pinouts I could find match your data, but not the devices on my PCB.

I need pinouts for these 3 device numbers in the black plastic "D-shaped"
form factor.

---
The 2N324, 2N326, and 2N333 are JEDEC registered devices, so their
housings should always be TO-5.

If you have plastic housed versions of the devices, then they are most
likely TO-92. The problem with that is that there are (according to
National's 1993 Discrete products databook) three pinout footprints for
the TO-92 package, the TO-92(92), the TO-92(94), and the TO-92(96).

Looking at the flat of the housing with the legs pointing down, the
TO-92(92) pins out EBC from left to right, the TO-92(94) pins out ECB,
and the TO-92(96) pins out BEC. So, to sort out what's what you'll
probably need to get into the thing's guts and do a little reverse
engineering.

The 1964 GE Transistor Manual has spec's for all three in case you need
to get equivalents, and "3" in their "Dwg.No." column corresponds to
TO-5. Unfortunately, they didn't list the package for the 2N326 but
it's rated for 7 watts so, clearly, it won't be in a TO-5 can. Much
less in a TO-92 package! I've scanned the page and I'll post it to
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic sometime today.

Well, the TO-39, which looks identical to the TO-5, will easily handle
7 watts, with a heatsink of course. The TO-39 case has the chip
bonded to the header, so the collector lead is usually welded directly
to the case.

AAMOF RCA made the 2N4036, 40412, 40346, 40347, & 40412 among many
others, all of which were in a TO-5 case and rated for a dissipation
of 7W or greater, in some cases 10W. This _was_ a true TO-5 case.

The spec's for the 2N326 are at:
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...l19500ss40.pdf
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...500ss40am1.pdf

which makes me think that if you're looking at something in a TO-92
package that has 2N326 written on it, then there's something drastically
wrong!

The definitive spec's for the 2N333 are at:
http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Downloads/Mi...l19500ss37.pdf

P.S., I haven't forgotten about your schematic, I just haven't gotten a
round tuit... BTW, is that 24VAC relay what you have in mind for
shunting the resistors?

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@