Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Progress on the Nightstands

On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 12:43:37 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/5/2016 4:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/5/2016 2:26 PM, OFWW wrote:
Snip

That said, I still would like to get a decent mortiser or make one of
those Woodsmith Mag homebuilt ones using a router. Either way it would
be a shop use tool only.

I have had a Delta mortiser for about 18 years. I have used it about 10
times, maybe. They are cool but I have not touched it since getting the
Domino. Essentially the Domino is operated and very much like a Plate
Joiner, AKA Biscuit cutter, except much much more accurate.
I have been interest in woodworking since I was 10 and have only really
been selling my work since retiring at 40.
IMHO the Domino enabled me to step up my game significantly and IMHO
several times more useful than a mortiser and shockingly faster than a
mortiser. With the Domino you do not have to cut a tenon for the mating
part. Anyway........ ;~)

I also have a Delta Mortiser. The only thing good about it is it is
cheap, and is always set up ready to go. I recommend you go with the
Domino rather than waste your money (and space) on a dedicated mortiser.
If I were younger, and planned on making lots of furniture, I would get
a Domino or possibly another brand that does the same thing, if one
exists. A mortiser takes up space and unless you have a really nice one,
(not a cheapie like the Delta) they are less than stellar. Domino seems
to be a stellar piece, quick and easy to use and very, very useful.

I would get one in a heartbeat if I was younger. Still wood (Freudian
slip) if I saw one used at a good price. But for now it'll be either a
router or chisels or both.

or my biscuit cutter.

To me it is more than intriguing when they drill, slice and dice, and
swing the bit all at once. My first up close view reminded me of the
knives in the casket top or was it a chest top of an Edgar A. Poe
story.