Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Progress on the Nightstands

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 14:38:47 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 2/5/2016 2:04 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 10:14:56 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/5/2016 1:17 AM, OFWW wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize that. Right now I am in the 30 day tryout period
of the pro. Wondering what kind of a hit I will take when that part of
the program stops.

Unless you have some programming chops, and have a direct need for
rolling your own "Dynamic Components", you won't notice anything that
will impact your use of SU Make for woodworking at all.

I'm pretty sure Leon has always used the free version since day 1.

As previously noted, you can download, and use, many Dynamic Components
(cabinets, fences, stairs, etc) on the 3D Warehouse straight to your
model in the free version.

I personally would miss the "Solid Object" tools, available only in SU
Pro, but only because I've experienced them by having the Pro version
for a number of years.

Never missed them before I upgraded to SU Pro because there are many
different ways to skin any particular cat in SU, including thousands of
SU plug-ins.

The "Plug-ins" and extensions (there is an Extension Warehouse under you
WINDOW menu also) are another world of utilitarian tools you need to
check into, most free, but some need to be purchased. There are also
third party sites dedicated solely to SU plug-ins. Google is your friend.

I build homes, and do a lot of kitchen and bath remodeling, therefore
the Pro version that comes with "Layout", was imperative for me to
generate industry standard, and formatted, construction documents for
permitting, bidding and building.

Either version is hard to beat for the price as a design tool, a
presentation tool to clients, as well as to design, build and fabricate
just about anything you can think of.

Wouldn't leave home, or go to the shop, without it ... literally.

Yeah, I have a copy on my tablet/notebook with duplicate files from my
desktop in case I have a thought.

On Layout, is that the ability to layout the floor plan and walls, and
then put in the various cabinets and appliances to see a picture of
the final results of the cabinet designs?

IIRC it is used to filter out sections of the drawing that are not
pertinent to whom you might be giving a drawing to. And IIRC it lets
you set that part of drawing to scale.

I think you can do what you mentioned above with the free version. You
can simply put different elements on different layers.

Cool.

Or so that I can redesign my garage layout for tool locations, etc?

I did that with the free version. I in fact have a complete model of my
home drawn up with all my pieces that I have built in the model and the
shop items too.

One thing I have not mentioned is that in our home I place the furniture
drawing/model in to the model of our home to see what is going to look
like in place. I built a large cabinet/pantry 4 years ago, 8'x8', and
was going to stain it a very dark color to match our kitchen cabinets.
In the model of the house it looked like a black hole. I ended up
toning back a lot of the dark and going two tone with the finish.

I will to this for the customer too, but just the room that the piece
that I am going to build.

Concept
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Reality
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Is that real or is that Memorex?

And a shot of our home with populated with pieces you may have seen already.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Awesome, that sure set my mind at rest.

I would miss those, and as my wife lacks visual imagination in certain
area, It would be hard to show her something without a picture of it.

I can only envision doing this as a business if the economy went
dramatically south and I needed a source of income. I have learned to
do things sparingly for friends. True friends, IYKWIM.

I've seen some of what it can do based on geographic location, I am
totally impressed. You can use that for tree placement around a bldg
with deciduous trees for energy management amongst other things.