Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Progress on the Nightstands

On 2/5/2016 2:26 PM, OFWW wrote:
Snip

Think I'll do fine without it and with what I have, plus if I get
hungry I can eat biscuits which is better than playing a game of
domino's.

You really need to be doing volume to justify the expense, I have had my
Domino since early 2008 IIRC and I have averaged about 1500 mortises for
each year that I have had it so it has paid me back in spades owning one.

That would be my reason for owning one. That does speak to the
durability of the tool.

The tool literally looks like it did when I bought it. And contrary to
what some have indicated, the 5mm bit, I have 4 sizes, has not been
replaced or resharpened. That in itself is amazing considering that
this bit alone has cut over 7,000 mortises.

Yes I eat, breath, and sleep Festool products, guilty. But I have not
seen any brand that holds up like this one does. I have a couple of
Festool sanders, a drill, and track saw, also

This will blow your mind. LOL I'm still not sure Swingman believes me.
I built a small entertainment center of a customer in November. I
sanded all joints and the glue squeeze out with a 120 grit Festool brand
Granat sand paper. I also removed the initial finish on the cabinet top
that I was not happy with. Removing the finish alone is tough on sand
paper.

Now I am working on the night stands and did the same, sanded all joints
and glue squeeze out and in fact this morning sanded the FF
stain and first coat of varnish off.

This was all done on both projects with a "single" piece of 120 grit
Granat sand paper on the Festool Rotex sander.

That said, I still would like to get a decent mortiser or make one of
those Woodsmith Mag homebuilt ones using a router. Either way it would
be a shop use tool only.

I have had a Delta mortiser for about 18 years. I have used it about 10
times, maybe. They are cool but I have not touched it since getting the
Domino. Essentially the Domino is operated and very much like a Plate
Joiner, AKA Biscuit cutter, except much much more accurate.
I have been interest in woodworking since I was 10 and have only really
been selling my work since retiring at 40.
IMHO the Domino enabled me to step up my game significantly and IMHO
several times more useful than a mortiser and shockingly faster than a
mortiser. With the Domino you do not have to cut a tenon for the mating
part. Anyway........ ;~)