Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default SAMSUNG SUCKS

On 2/4/2016 2:33 PM, wrote:

One of the places with which I'm affiliated recycles/refurbishes electronic
kit (literally millions of pounds annually). By far, most (defective) LCD
monitors they see are Samsung branded. Almost always bad capacitors or
FETs in the backlight drive (inverter).

Of course, its possible that they have the *lowest* failure rate of all
LCD monitors and the high percentage we see is a consequence of them being
more popular (???) in the market. Or, more popular among the folks who
donate this (defective) equipment.

Or, it could be that they are just a crappier product.

I've been tracking LCD TV donations/repairs in an attempt to get a handle
on that "quality" as well... (our plasma is 13 years old, now -- probably
time to "upgrade" : )

Don't get rid of that plasma until it fails - particularly if a
Panasonic. They will generally outlast an LED 2 or 3 to 1.

We don't watch much TV. OTOH, the plasma uses a *lot* of electricity! (~300W)
And, it's an eyesore (big "window" in the middle of the living room).

[I'd much prefer a motorized projection screen that I can recess into the
ceiling when not in use.]

I'm moving to a "media server" approach for audio/video sources (so,
"monitors" instead of "televisions"; "speakers" instead of "stereos").
I see this as more value per investment (i.e., don't have to replace
the non-display portions each time you want a "new TV") and more *capable*
solution (unlike the crippled smart-TV's that are reminiscent of the
performance of early PC's -- coupled with all their spyware).

As for the number of LGs in the recycle heap, they are likely by a
pretty large margin the largest seller - and they DO make more than
one model and quality of just about everything they make.

Most of these are from corporate donors. Typically "nicer" kit
but probably less well treated (i.e., employees have little incentive
to turn things OFF when they leave at the end of the day/week; power
supplies don't like staying "on" even if their loads are "off"))

OTOH, for a bit of my time (and $2-3 of parts), *I* can have an
essentially "new" monitor...

Like my Dad used to say:

If you want first quality oats you need to be willing to pay first
quality price. If you are willing to settle for oats that have already
gone through the horse, THEY DO come a little cheaper - - -