Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Progress on the Nightstands

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 16:28:37 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 2/1/2016 3:21 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:35:18 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/31/2016 8:21 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 12:44:10 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/28/2016 7:28 PM, OFWW wrote:

I was
contemplating how I would do some of the drawers I was going to build,
and you solved every problem I can think of, including but not limited
to saving all the trying to fit in the cabinets to mount the slides
and align them, and then drill the holes and install the screws.

Once again, when you have more than one or two drawers to do, and you're
using a drawer slide/spacer assembly to attach them to your cabinet
sides, a jig is your friend.

Easily made from scraps as needed, and which can be immediately
customized with simple custom spacers (cut for different slide and face
frame parameters), it will also allow you to reference the drawer slide
the proper distance for any face frame thickness and/or distance from
cabinet front edge ... as well as giving you some nailing/screwing space
below the slide which comes in handy when tweaking/shimming in existing
cabinetry.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...7 55711086306

(scroll right for all four photos)

When you have many drawers to install, this "trim carpenters" jig to do
the drawer slide/spacer assembly will save tons of time.

I can see that, and the ability to screw below the slides is a great
option as well.

I'd like to ask a question here, it has been on my mind ever since I
started looking at these things, the metal slides. The side slides
take up space, making it necessary to narrow the drawer and everytime
you pull the drawer out you see that big gap.

Is mounting the slide portion that attaches to the drawer possible to
install in a groove/dado about 1/4" deep that would pretty much make
the gap look normal and cover the slide when looking from above? Or
would create complications down the road?

The grove down the side of the drawer would have to be approximately 2"
wide and about 1/2" deep to fill the gap. That would not work with 1/2"
thick material.

I think that the gap would not be a thing to fixate on. Instead look at
the big gap between the drawer sides when you pull the drawer open. ;~)

Alternatively, and referencing Swingmans link showing his jig and
"undermount" slides, you see no hardware at all with that set up. BUT
IIRC you have limitations as to how tall the drawer can be compared to
the height of the drawer opening.

Yeah, you guys are probably right, no sense swimming against the tide,
all things considered. But I will probably try at least one for the
garage to see.

I thought the jig was for his side mounts, anyhow I was looking at the
bottom slides, but the costs drive up the job higher than the wood for
the carcases. If it was my final home I would go for it. But the house
I am in it just isn't worth it for this area, unless I happened upon a
real discriminating buyer.

Here is the way I look at it, if you are introducing mechanical metal
slides you are crossing that line away from really high end
craftsmanship. IOT if I don't to see compromises I build a web frame in
the cabinet, with center guide and a matching center guide for the
drawer, out of wood. No metal.... But in kitchen cabinets that will
see a lot of wear, and like Swingman said, wood on wood movement does
not hold up for the long haul.

Anyway if you are looking for a pretty good side mount full extension
100# Soft close slide I buy from this place. Really good pricing for a
KV distributed product.

http://www.cabinethardware.com/G-Sli...ose-p/1012.htm

The link info was great, less expensive that what I can get here
locally, even less than the box stores.

We decided at the beginning to use metal slides for their full length
extension capability, making it far easier to get at the stuff at the
back of the cabinet without having to unload the cabinet every time
you need something.

I also ran across a mention of a slide with an extra 3/4 " extension
for drawers that are under the counter top so that those drawers are
also fully extendable when you take the countertop overhang into
account.

Thanks again Leon.!