Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 05:34:35 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 12:24:29 UTC, T i m wrote:

realise the M25 was a ring? There are also some people who have to ask
which way to undo a tap or a nut. ;-)

I get that somtimes it's due to mild dyslexia I think.

Interesting. I was watching a program on TV the other day that
suggested that some people can't 'visualise' something when given a
description by someone else. Like if you were describing a kitchen
layout then actually supplied it ... they would only realise what it
was going to look like when it was finished? I (most of us?), given a
suitable description to the point where they might even question
something before work starts (like 'won't that then overlap the window
or foul the boiler' etc) or question when finished how it wasn't as
they thought they understood it would be.

But don't water and gas tapes turn in the opposite direction.

I'm not sure mate? Most gas taps I've come across are actually
stopcocks so 'on' could be a quarter turn clockwise which would indeed
be opposite a std water tap. goes and checks something. Yes, the
cold ceramic tap on our kitchen mixer is anticlockwise for on whereas
the hot is clockwise. ;-)

And thens theres' what postion you're turning it from.

That rarely bothers me ... same with running RC models where the left
/ right are reversed when the model is coming towards you. I must
always consider such things from the perspective of being at the
optimum position to it (so in a RC buggy that would be behind / inside
it). ;-)

If it's under a desk and you're leaning over and upside down it gets tricky.

I've never considered it so (I never have to think about it for a
second etc) so it must just be one of those things that you can either
do instinctively or not. Like I never had any issues differentiating
my left and right or port and starboard etc. 'Right' is just that way
(to the right) and I can't see (but accept it is the case of course)
why everyone else can't just to so equally?

Daughter is like me in that respect but the Mrs isn't.

I wonder if that is also linked to a 'sense of direction'? We know
birds and some other creatures can use the earths magnetic fields to
give them a 'bearing' so I wonder if some people can also tap into
that, even if only subconsciously?

If we are visiting a new to us town, walk round and round and end up
in a cafe, when we leave to go back to the car I'll tend to start off
in the right direction whereas the Mrs will go in what appears to be a
completely arbitrary direction (possibly linked to the direction we
came in from, if we are lucky). ;-)

But didn't they print an upside down map of England that was supposed
to be for 'women'?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upside-Down-.../dp/0952930404

On my GPS's I always set them to 'North up' because that way I am
seeing it as I would if looking at a map and so can retain *my*
bearings. If I come across some new road or traffic layout that isn't
covered on the GPS I can still navigate manually because I was aware
what direction I was heading in the first place. ;-)

The thing that still gets me is when joining the likes of the M25 are
the choices on the signs have no bearing on my destination. Now I know
it can't be like a tube map where it tells you on each direction
choice, all the stops in order but an abbreviated version might be
better than two places I'm not interested in or even directly on the
M25!

I think daughters later Garmin GPS has better lane guidance and it
announces the name of the road you are turning into (that can be quite
reassuring) so I might try hers on the next trip and may even treat
myself to one (or it's current replacement). That way I get some
better features and the latest maps. ;-)

Cheers, T i m