Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 11:55:43 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote

I figure satnav saves its cost in wasted fuel easily.
And again several times over in wasted time.

And doesn't cost a penny when you already have a decent smartphone.

Yes, if you have a physical satnav in your phone (my S2 / S4
have) as I've yet to see any completely free data connections?

There is plenty of free wifi around now.

Not in the woods and trails near us there aren't. ;-)

And with offline maps you don't need any data
connection except to update the offline map.

So you are using the onboard GPS at that point? So it's a GPS, not a
network data driven thing?

But then I wouldn't want to hold my phone out in the rain ...

Works fine in a waterproof case.

or operate it wearing gloves

You can in fact get gloves that work fine.

Work fine against tarmac at 70 mph *and* work small touchscreen
easily? Yes, I know you can get 'gloves' that allow you to use
touchscreens but they are still not as easy to use wearing gloves,
especially when on the move (say on a cycle on a trail). Trust me,
I've tried it all. ;-)

or run it flat when I could really use a phone ... ;-(

Much better fixed with an external battery.

Much better to carry something that I can use in the rain without any
extra cases (that might restrict access or visibility of the GPS) and
with my gloves and have a phone that can be used just as a phone and
not have to carry *just* a battery that is only a battery (that I also
have btw and carry for just the phone as a phone!).

But I don't expect you to understand the use of a GPS on a motorbike
in the cold and rain, you live in Australia. ;-)

Cheers, T i m