Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 10:26:50 +0000, dennis@home
wrote:

On 02/02/2016 23:07, T i m wrote:

I'd agree for unpredictable congestion but argue that local knowledge
would probably win over any GPS congestion displays. I've been taken
on routes by the GPS I wouldn't typically take because I know all the
little side options etc.

My tomtom knows the traffic congestion around here better than I do.

OK.

The system actually knows how long its taking to get down a road while
the local knowledge only knows its usually a five minute delay.

Assuming the feedback on the traffic data is right up to date you
mean?

The tomtom will take you down the quickest route it can find and
includes the back streets.

As will the Garmin ... just that I have found it has chosen the
quickest that should be the quickest, if it wasn't for the fact that
there are known 'restrictions' (like a narrow bit of road that makes
it half duplex) that slow people up, but not sufficiently to become
worthy of a congestion notice.

Overall though and given even those areas I do know reasonably well,
the GPS gets me places easily and efficiently in a way I couldn't do
on my own or even with my Mrs navigating.

Cheers, T i m