Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

On 02/02/2016 22:38, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 21:30:34 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 02/02/2016 20:42, Chris French wrote:

snip

Google maps on my phone will tell me were I am

...and does turn by turn navigation on mine as well

As does mine but daughters (later) Garmin Nuvi also describers the
name or designation of the road you are supposed to turn into and has
better 'lane control', handy for use on motorways (when some of the
road signs may not be pertinent to your immediate need to take the
left or right lane).

google speaks the names of roads as well, as do later versions of Tomtom
I believe...

Is it only me who would be happy with 'Clockwise' or 'Anticlockwise'
on roads leading onto the likes of the M25? I may be very aware that I

Indeed, I would much prefer that to the radio announcements that say
things like "M25 northbound" etc!

need to go clockwise but don't know if I want Heathrow or Luton, when
neither are on the M25! ;-(

I'd like to add I think TomTom v Garmin is nearly as bad as Windows V
Linux or Cats V Dogs. I've never liked the TomTom marketing and
everyone I been with who has one seems to be beholden to what *it*
wants to do. One, and older guy got frustrated with his TomTom and
asked me what I'd got and went a bought the same (the Garmin Nuvi).
Much to my surprise, he found the Garmin 'brilliant' (his words) and
gave me the TomTom to 'play with'. I think it's still on the shelf
where I put it. ;-(

Can't say I am that partisan... I have an old Tomtom (GO 700) that works
well - nice clear voice, works as a handfree for a phone as well. Plus
it has maps for all of western europe built in - so no dependence on a
data connection. On the downside its not got any real time updates on
traffic, like the current models. Not used a Garmin in the car (although
have used their eTrex for walking etc).

--
Cheers,

John.