Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

T i m wrote
Hilo Black wrote

Real time lane advisory with a satnav works a hell of a lot
better, essentially because you don't have to plan in advance.

That's something I can often find the most worrying ...
trying to check the signs ahead to see if the lane I'm
in gives me the option to go where I want.

Yeah. In the desperately late run into Sydney, in the last
stretch into Sydney itself which is often in tunnels, and
all you can do is vary the lane you are in, ****ing great
signs painted on the road saying ED ONLY in some
lanes. Completely useless if you don't know what ED
means. Turns out that it meant Eastern Distributor
and that was what I needed, but that was a pure fluke.

And handles traffic congestion infinitely
better than any navigator can ever do.

I'd agree for unpredictable congestion but argue that local
knowledge would probably win over any GPS congestion
displays. I've been taken on routes by the GPS I wouldn't
typically take because I know all the little side options etc.

Dunno. I have noticed that google maps does mostly
route you that way now, presumably because it is
actually measuring transit times using the mobile
phone bases and can work that out for itself.

That's how it knows when traffic congestion is
worse that normal, by actually measuring transit
times in real time using the mobile phone bases.

However, overall, 'local knowledge is only generally
available 'locally' g or any other location you might
have driven regularly at several times of the day.

See above.