Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 11:19:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, 2 February 2016 18:11:04 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 15:55:45 +0000, Clive George
wrote:
On 02/02/2016 12:06, T i m wrote:

I don't use a GPS, and route planning when driving involves getting in
the car, looking at the map and then going.

Good for finding 'Unit 3, The Trading Estate, The back of Nowhere', in
the dark.

It never seems to be that
hard -

No one ever said it was 'hard' but no one could ever say it was easier
than being guided by a few billions $$ worth of space tech.

even when crossing countries.

Yup, we have all 'managed' doing all sorts of things by hand or using
hand tools ... just there are often ways of making life easier now
days and most *enjoy* making use of them.

I figure satnav saves its cost in wasted fuel easily.

Absolutely, but who couldn't afford to spend 50 quid on one these
days?

And again several times over in wasted time.

Yup, another pertinent selling point.

They (decent GPS solutions) are more than just an efficient routing
device of course. If you break down they are a good way of telling the
recovery services *exactly* where you are. They can tell you *exactly*
where the nearest petrol station is, even if it is right off the
beaten track or even behind you (and provide the phone number so you
can check they are open before you waste your remaining fuel).

Now, you can hear the flatworlders jumping up and saying 'you
shouldn't leave it so you are low on fuel or you should carry some
spare' but maybe they have never ridden a motorcycle round the top of
Scotland on a Sunday evening. ;-(

Funnily, I heard one motorcyclist say they just spent £15,000 on a new
motorbike *so* couldn't afford a GPS for 'the bike'. I'm pretty sure
'the bike' CGAF about getting lost, the GPS was for *him*. ;-)

Cheers, T i m