Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:39:09 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , T i m
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 15:55:45 +0000, Clive George
wrote:

Granted I normally have a navigator,

Ah, now we get the whole story ... "Yeah, I don't need a GPS ...
because I have a human navigator doing it all for me" rolls eyes

Why you rolling your eyes?

Because of the ridiculousness of his statement Tim. *Of course* you
are less likely to appreciate the support of a GPS if you have someone
navigating beside you. It's just like those saying they 'never had any
issues with Linux seeing all their hardware when it turns out half
their hardware isn't working (but 'ok' because they don't actually use
it) or they just use their PC as a typewriter'. ;-(

Drunk or something?

Rarely (twice in my life so far) and certainly not before driving to
pick my Mum up. ;-)

C'mon T i m , if you
have someone to do the navigating you (mostly) don't need a satnav.

No, get away! ;-)

Yes, a satnav would be useful when trying to to find some street in a
strange town at night.

Not 'would be', *is* to any of those who have bothered to give them a
go (who have the need, 'horses for courses' etc).

So we're thinking about getting one and have
been thinking about it for 10 years.

No time like the present. Go on, it won't take you off the edge of the
earth. ;-)

In our case, whoever is not driving is doing the navigating.

And that's fine. Unfortunately, as I generally do the driving and she
get's very travel sick when moving (and reading etc) the options
aren't they great. [1]

And
whoever planned the trip has the responsibility to print off Google
Maps maps (which we keep and re-use for next time) and Street-Viewing
the destination area, too.

Ah, I see where you might be getting confused (or simply are never in
the situation) ... we / I rarely 'plan a trip', we 'just need to go
somewhere' and often at fairly shot notice or even when already out on
the road.

Which can be very handy so that f'rinstance
I stay in the left lane just there and don't turn right over the edge
of Beachy Head.

Ooops, sorry, I didn't realise that was actually a fear of yours?

Cheers, T i m

[1] She used to get 'motion sick' (as she wasn't actually traveling as
such) when in the mobile library and other people were walking about.
;-(