Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 15:55:45 +0000, Clive George
wrote:

On 02/02/2016 12:06, T i m wrote:

Now, if you don't actually crawl out from under your stone very often
or aren't someone who likes doing stuff in the moment, 'planning' a
route 3 weeks in advance could be considered the fun bit of any trip
(till the first road closure of course). ;-)

I don't use a GPS, and route planning when driving involves getting in
the car, looking at the map and then going.

Good for finding 'Unit 3, The Trading Estate, The back of Nowhere', in
the dark.

It never seems to be that
hard -

No one ever said it was 'hard' but no one could ever say it was easier
than being guided by a few billions $$ worth of space tech.

even when crossing countries.

Yup, we have all 'managed' doing all sorts of things by hand or using
hand tools ... just there are often ways of making life easier now
days and most *enjoy* making use of them.

Granted I normally have a
navigator,

Ah, now we get the whole story ... "Yeah, I don't need a GPS ...
because I have a human navigator doing it all for me" rolls eyes

but I don't do too badly without one as well.

Hmmm, I'd prefer to better than 'not too badly' without having to have
a navigator and under all conditions and with no notice (even enough
notice to ensure I have a suitable map of the required area).

Now, I can understand why you wouldn't want a Garmin (or TomTom) GPS
if you were stuck on Linux as I don't believe either are supported on
Linux (even though the GPS's themselves now probably run on it). ;-)

Cheers, T i m