Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hiding in plain sight

T i m submitted this idea :
Now, if you don't actually crawl out from under your stone very often
or aren't someone who likes doing stuff in the moment, 'planning' a
route 3 weeks in advance could be considered the fun bit of any trip
(till the first road closure of course). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Well said sir!

I struggled for many years with paper maps and no time or knowledge of
where I might need to go next. So valuable time was lost, planning a
route to where I needed to be and hoping for the best.

I grabbed a satnav GPS receiver, just as soon as they became available
so as to see what use they could be, with its output fed into an early
green screen laptop to work out a route.

I saw the possibilities, so bought one of the early Garmin self
contained units, able to plot a route. At the time, I was working at
several fixed locations, several hundreds of them, so I fed these in to
the unit. The nature of the job meant I might be needed to get from
where I was, to one of the other locations fast, no time to look at a
paper map. I found it to be absolutely superb, just pick where I needed
to be from the named points in my list.

My present SatNav system, now used entirely for leisure, is linked to
RDS and the Internet, so it gets constant updates on road conditions,
flooded roads etc. and can route around them.

Yes I can use a map and do so, but not for route navigation anymore. It
gets opened once I arrive at my destination, to see what is around the
area.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)