Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hiding in plain sight

On 02/02/16 12:32, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/02/2016 12:06, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 09:15:14 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

I only use the phone as a GPS when I have to and it's no use mounted
on the handlebar of a motorbike in the rain or when being operated by
fingers wrapped in leather gloves. It is very reassuring to know I
have a GPS on me at all times though (and I have made use of it many
times and in ways I wouldn't have first predicted).

Indeed, I find I quite often use mine as the real time traffic
information is quite handy. Also the ability to not have to fondle it,
and just say "navigate to xyz" to it is quite nice. (just a bit annoying
that it does not understand a voice command to navigate to an address
that is in its phonebook, but will navigate to one that it can find on a
web search.

Now, if you don't actually crawl out from under your stone very often
or aren't someone who likes doing stuff in the moment, 'planning' a
route 3 weeks in advance could be considered the fun bit of any trip
(till the first road closure of course). ;-)

I just checked one list of available POI files, and they claim to have
300,000 different ones now.... TNPs probably going to have a hard time
avoiding all those places just so he can sock it to "the man".

I simply dont bother to even look. I either know the particular point of
interest (man made) that is driving me to a destination, or I look at a
map for scenery hints and so on.

Google maps is actually quite handy there. Satnavs less so.