Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Hiding in plain sight

T i m wrote
Blanco wrote

If you have a recent smart phone you can
use the GPS to mark the location too.

Not accurate down to the car.

I've not tried that with a smartphone but often used it to find the
car (or tent / motorbike) using my portable Garmin GPS.

Yeah, I do too when out walking for exercise in the bush.

But then you don't need it to anything like as accurate as
the car in a carpark, you can see the car from hundreds of
meters away and just need some indication of roughly
where it is when its not currently visible in thick scrub etc.

And I do that with the phone, not a dedicated
GPS which I don't bother to use anymore.

Very handy to get to roughly where the car
is and start looking at individual cars tho.

Again, this could be dedicated GPS specific (but I don't
know why it should be these days) but I'm sure the
resolution was about 6' (only a bit wider than a car)?

It's not going to be that accurate in the big multilevel parking stations.

Even in my house with a metal roof, the location can vary by 100'

We would pull up at a parking space, hit the 'Man overboard' button,
give the waypoint a suitable label then turn the GPS off and stick it
in my pocket. We walk into town / whatever and if we get disorientated
on return, turn the GPS back on and follow the arrow back to the car
(with the routing set to 'Pedestrian').

There's a reason the find my car systems use bluetooth as well as GPS.

We also used the GPS several times (pre us having
SmartPhones with Internet etc) to find 'Attractions
nearby' when on motorcycle / camping holidays.

Sure, but with those you don't need anything like 6' accuracy.

And when you do like with say train platforms, you're normally
underground etc so the GPS doesn't have anything like 6' accuracy.

FWIW, I had a flyer from OS recently saying they would allow me to
trade in my old paper maps (of which I have a good few, unused now for
a good few years) for a voucher towards summat else (from them, like a
new map g). That could be a way of disposing of them as I couldn't
throw something like an OS Landranger map in the bin (they are little
works of art). ;-)

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/

Never had any offers on any of mine, but then they were all
bought before the net had even been invented and bought
in person rather than by mail order so that's not very surprising.

Don't use them at all anymore.