Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default troubleshooting an issue with my gas fireplace

philo wrote:
On 01/28/2016 09:44 AM, Gunner wrote:
**Looking for some insight/suggestions to address a problem concerning my
propane gas heat and glo fireplace that has a pilot light assembly with
both the thermocouple and thermopile. On on the recommendation for my
technician i replaced my whole pilot light assembly due to a pilot light
flame and thermopile issue. My problem lies with the flame decreasing
when
I switch from the pilot mode to the on position. In pilot mode the pilot
lights up with no problem and a very strong flame which engulfs both the
thermocouple, as well as, the thermopile. As i m,ove it over to the on
position the flame starts to decrease. I can move the knob slowly towards
the on position enough for the main burner to engage, but if I move it
over enough to fully open up the main valve, the flame no longer covers
the thermocouple and/or thermopile enought to keep the millivolts needed
to properly run the main valve. the reult is a clicking sound and suht
off
of the whole system. Also, I notice that the control valve for the main
burner which regulates the flame itself has no impact on the intensity of
the flame.

snip

Obviously not right and since this is a combustion device unless you are
positively 100% sure of what you are doing, I'd just have the tech fix it

I'd check the gas pressure. I believe Propane has winter grade one and
summer grade one. As an example if you try to use BBQ now using propane
tank filled in summer, it does not work well.